What is Off-page SEO?
Also known as off-site SEO, off-page SEO refers to the various techniques you can use to improve the position of your website in search results. They embody any action taken outside of your website to improve your search engine rankings. Unlike on-page SEO, Off-page SEO refers to activities you can perform outside the boundaries of your website.
How Can Website Owners Benefit From Off-Page SEO?
The following are the benefits of a successful off-site SEO strategy to website owners:
- Increase in rankings – Since Google considers Off-page SEO when deciding if and where to rank web pages, your website ranks higher in the SERPs, and this results in more traffic.
- Increase in PageRank – This indicates the amount of value and importance Google places on your website. Page rank is a number between 0 and 10, and this is how Google displays the most relevant results to online searchers.
- More Exposure – When your website ranks in the top positions on search engines, it generates more visits, more links, and more social media engagements. All these are consequences of higher rankings and greater exposure.
- E-A-T – Expertise, Authority, and Trustworthiness (E-A-T) plays an important role in rankings and is directly related to off-site SEO. This unique concept was recently introduced by Google to rank websites that can be trusted and also demonstrate expertise and authority on a subject.
How To Do Off-Page SEO For Your SEO Campaign?
Now that you have discovered how important off-page SEO is to a website’s success let’s go into the specifics of how to improve your off-page SEO.
- Link Building
Building backlinks is at the forefront of every off-page SEO strategy. Search engine robots use backlinks to determine the quality of the linked content. Therefore, a website with many high-value backlinks usually ranks better than those with fewer backlinks. Getting quality links is an important factor if you’re serious about ranking.
Here are the most popular ways to increase your link count:
- Blog Directories
- Forum Signatures
- Article Directories
- Shared Content Directories
- Link exchange schemes.
There are three types of links. They include:
These are links that come to your website naturally as you don’t have to do any work or take any action to earn them. Anyone can decide to link to your content either because they follow your brand or discover that your content is valuable.
This is a type of link that comes to your website from several mediums meaning you worked to earn it. You can as well reach out to webmasters or publishers to help you build these links. You can even promote the content with an ad campaign. However, make sure you create valuable content for users.
Created links are as a result of self-submissions on forums, directories, or even press releases. You intentionally created this link without carrying out any outreach. Search engines normally look down on this kind of link building tactic because it is generally seen as a black-hat SEO practice. When building links, it is advisable to focus more on natural or built links.
This is an excellent way of building linkable content for your brand. When your audience comments and share your blog content, it increases your visibility, and you can start generating natural links.
- Brand Mentions
Google usually ranks branded websites at the top of their search results. The reason is that brands are more reliable and likely to be trusted by users, which results in better user experience for users.
- Social Media Marketing
It may come as a surprise, but social media marketing is another a form of off-page SEO. Even though Social Media doesn’t affect rankings, they are still some of the best places to generate awareness for your brand.
- Writing For Publications
Writing for external publications shows that you’re an authority in your industry while also promoting your brand in the process.
If you’d like to speak to a professional about off-page SEO, you can reach us here.
Like On-page SEO, Off-page SEO is also important to SEO. To have a successful SEO campaign, you have to put lots of effort into link building and Off-page SEO.